- Cyber Security
- Cyber Security Month
- Identity Theft
- ID Theft and Security Resources
- How to Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
- Steps to Take if Your Data Becomes Compromised or Stolen
- Fraudulent Tax Returns
- Cyber Security Resources
- Cyber Security Training
- Password Security
- Cloud Services and Mobile Devices
- OIT Home
What is Identity Theft
Identity theft occurs when someone uses another person's personal information, such as name, Social Security number, driver's license number, credit card number, or other identifying information to take on that person's identity for the purpose of committing fraud or other crimes.
Frequent methods used to steal an identity include:
- Over-sharing personal information on social media, such as birthdays, hometowns, and online resumes.
- Sharing location information via photos, such as geo-tagging and location check-ins.
- Inadvertently revealing personal financial institutions through social media profiles, usually via a "like" or a "favorite."