Office of Diversity and Inclusion - a Division of Student Affairs at the University of Central Oklahoma
Hispanic Heritage Month
Hispanic Heritage Month begins on September 16th, the anniversary of independence for Mexico, following the the anniversary of independence for five Latin American countries-Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua on September 15th, as well as Chile on September 18. Hispanic Heritage Month concludes on October 17th.
The University of Central Oklahoma celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with celebratory and educational events such as keynote speakers, current event round table discussions, film series, kickoff festivities, salsa lessons, authentic Hispanic food and much more.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Kick-Off (Tuesday, September 16th)
- Heritage Room
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Join us as we celebrate the illustrious month of Hispanic Heritage. Come celebrate by eating delicious food, listening cultural music, and listening to our keynote speaker, David Castillo. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Diversity & Inclusion at 405-974-3588.
- Loteria Night (Thursday, September 25th)
- NUC Room 320B
- 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Come out and play Loteria, a game very similar to bingo, and enjoy chips and salsa and win prizes. It will be an awesome time to meet new friends and just have an awesome time experiencing this Hispanic game.
- Fiesta De Las Americas (Saturday, September 27th)
- Historic Capitol Hill Oklahoma City
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Historic Capitol Hill's Fiestas de las Americas is an award winning, outdoor festival that celebrates the multi-cultural heritage that exists in Oklahoma. The all-day event features a colorful parade, live music and dance groups, food, drinks, children’s activities, arts, crafts and much more.
- Hispanic Flamenco Ballet (Tuesday, September 30th)
- Del City High School
- 9:00 p.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Come listen and watch to the rich cultural heritage of Spain’s intense display of music and dance.
- Regional Food Bank Service (Saturday, October 4th)
- 9:00 p.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- More than 675,000 Oklahomans will wake up today and wonder where their next meal will come from. Come help us serve our community.
- Cesar Chavez Movie Night (Wednesday, October 8th)
- NUC Will Roger Room
- 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 PM
- Come watch this captivating movie of an inspiring union leader and labor organizer. Cesar Chavez dedicated his life to improving treatment, pay, and working conditions for farm workers.
Full HTML Version