Thank you for your interest in the 2014 Big Event!
This year marks the 12th Anniversary of UCO's Big Event, and we are excited to work with you to make it the biggest yet! We strive to say 'Thank You' by assisting various individuals around the Edmond and Metro OKC areas. If you aren't familiar with the Big Event, it's a day where 700+ members of the UCO community come together in order to give back to the community of which we are part. For you as an individual that supports the UCO community, it means we want to thank you, so let us help you!
This year, Big Event will be on Saturday, March 29th, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
As in previous years, we ask that you fill out these forms as soon as possible and be as specific as possible in your request. We are limiting the time volunteers are available (10 a.m. - 2 p.m.) but do not limit the amount of volunteers you may request. We have limited budgets for supplies and will review any supply requests and let you know if we will be able to provide them for you. We do have some supplies from previous years (shovels, rakes, gloves, etc.), but please be as specific in your requests as possible. It is also extremely helpful if you are able to provide some of the supplies, as well.
The students meet at UCO before traveling to your site, so please allow them time for travel. We gather at 8 a.m. for breakfast, group meetings and a few brief speakers to get them even more excited about the impact they are making on the community. They will arrive at your site well fed and ready to work! To ensure that no groups get lost in transit to your site, please include a number they can contact that morning and any clarification on directions to the site should it be different from the address of your main office or confusing in any way.
Again, we are so honored and humbled to be able to say thank you and we ask that you share our information with anyone that could benefit from this day of thanks and service.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Volunteer & Service Learning Center at email@example.com or 974-2621. It is our job to ensure that all communications leading up to this event are clear and that our volunteers get to you on the day of without any confusion.
We look forward to assisting you. No job is too small!
2014 Big Event Site Application (Deadline: Monday, March 3rd, 5 p.m.)
Things We Can Do
- Plant flowers, shrubs and trees (within reason)
- Rake leaves
- Pick up debris
- Lay mulch
- Perform minor landscaping (no power/gas equipment can be used)
- Assemble furniture, playgrounds, etc. (within reason)
- Paint as long as paint is provided
- Pick up trash
- Put together care packages for troops, oversees missions, etc.
- Interact with people (students, veterans, elderly, etc.)
THINGS WE CANNOT DO
- Provide: Paint, Mulch, flowers, shrubs, trees, monkey grass, other ground cover, lumber, nails, special cleaning products etc.
- Perform work in excessively high places or on a ladder higher than 6ft.
- Carry anything over 50 lbs. (if you would like the volunteers to carry something remotely heavy, please let us know so we match the right students with your site)
- Use any equipment that needs a power source (gas/diesel, electric, etc.)
- Burn debris
- Allow volunteers to be in groups less than 3, or be subdivided into groups less than 3.
*Note Big Event Volunteers take no responsibility for any inadvertent damages during the volunteer process.