- Volunteer and Service Learning
- Service Events
- Orgsync Service Calendar
- Central Pantry
- Service Learning
- Distinguished Service Graduate
- Carnegie Community Engagement Classification Application 2014
- LOG YOUR SERVICE HOURS HERE
- Oklahoma Standard
- Student Life
- Student Affairs
- Contact Us
UCO Alternative Breaks
The UCO Alternative Breaks Program strive to provide students with a transformative experience. Instead of relaxing or taking a vacation, Alternative Breaks are a week or few days on not a week or few days off. In line with UCO's Call to Action, delivering education based on our shared values of Community, Character and Civility we strive to create a society of active citizens. Once they return from an Alternative Break experience, participants will be more informed on all sides of a social issue, feel empowered to make informed decisions and take meaningful action that supports the greater good. Upon graduation, these students will have the skills to become active members of society and weigh in on issues that impact their communities.
Alternative Spring Break
2017 UCO Alternative Spring Break Applications will open October 2016 on the Alternative Breaks Orgsync page. The apps will close TBD and then students will start the interview process. The link to the application is below. This is a great leadership opportunity and we are excited to offer this to more students with multiple trip options. We are also looking for staff/faculty advisors, if interested email email@example.com for more information. Each trip will cost between $175 per student. The dates are March 12– 18, 2017.
March 11- March 18, 2017
Northbound: Tackling Domestic Violence, Sex Trafficking, and Breaking Down Language Barriers
Zion National Park, Southwest Utah
March 11- March 18, 2017
Environmental Stewardship: The National Park Systems' Role in the Stewardship of Natural Resources
March 11- March 18, 2017
"Till It Happens to You: Students Challenging Societal Norms."
For More Detail and to Apply CLICK HERE
Previous Trips Include
- Charlotte, North Carolina: Asset Building- Habitat for Humanity
- Knoxville, Tennessee: Poverty Programs- Knoxville Leadership Foundation
- Albuquerque, New Mexico: Food Insecurity
Local Alternative Spring Break 2016
- Edmond and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (no overnight stay): Food Justice- Urban Garden Programs
- Colorado Springs, CO: Pike's Peak Habitat for Humanity
- Corpus Christi, TX: Padre Island National Seashore- Sea Turtle Recovery Division
- Denver, CO (Fraternity and Sorority Life sponsored All-Greek Trip): Animal Welfare
- Chicago, IL: working with the YMCA of Chicago focused on inner city youth developing community activities and various projects. (6 student spots available)
- Nashville, TN: working with the Nashville Rescue Mission to focus on two social issues- hunger and homelessness. Projects include preparing/serving food, painting/light construction, garden work, sorting donated items, stocking a food pantry, etc. (10 student spots available)
- Flagstaff, AZ: working with the Grand Canyon National Park and Hazard Trees focused on Conservation. Projects include removing hazardous trees/plants and other projects. (10 student spots available)
Spring 2013: New York Cares and Responding to Natural Disasters
Experience first hand how non-profits spring into action within communities hit by a natural disaster. March 17 – 23 UCO students have the opportunity to aid in the Superstorm Sandy Disaster Relief Efforts. UCO will be partnering with New York Cares to help clean up debris, muck-out houses, start the rebuilding process and much more in Gerritsen Beach & Far Rockaway, NY.
For more information check out UCO Alternative Spring Break in the news:
UCO STUDENTS SPEND SPRING BREAK HELPING HURRICANE SANDY VICTIMS
Alternative Fall Break
Alternative Fall Break 2016
UCO Community Gardens
Issue: Food Security through Urban Gardening
Alternative Fall Break 2015
- Travel/Overnight Trip
- Selman Living Lab- Freedom, Oklahoma
- Participants will be serving at UCO's official Biological Station.
- Local Day Trips
- Participants will be serving at Reaching Our City or Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity
Alternative Fall Break 2014
- Trips focused on serving with Serve Moore (Moore, OK), Turning Point Ministries (Edmond, OK), Restore Hope Ministries (Tulsa, OK), and The Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma (Tulsa, OK).
Alternative Fall Break 2013
- Trip focused on serving with the US Defenders and Rebuilding Together to give aid to those in our Metropolitan community.
Alternative Fall Break 2012
- Trips went to Joplin, MO to aid in the rebuilding process with Rebuild Joplin and the other group served with the Oklahoma City Public School Foundation's Teachers Warehouse and at Arcadia Lake.
For more information check out UCO Alternative Fall Break in the news: