- Volunteer and Service Learning
- Service Events
- Orgsync Service Calendar
- Central Pantry
- Service Learning
- Distinguished Service Graduate
- Carnegie Community Engagement Classification Application 2014
- LOG YOUR SERVICE HOURS HERE
- Oklahoma Standard
- Student Life
- Student Affairs
- Contact Us
UCO Alternative Breaks
The UCO Alternative Breaks Program strive to provide students with a transformative experience. Instead of relaxing or taking a vacation, Alternative Breaks are a week or few days on not a week or few days off. In line with UCO's Call to Action, delivering education based on our shared values of Community, Character and Civility we strive to create a society of active citizens. Once they return from an Alternative Break experience, participants will be more informed on all sides of a social issue, feel empowered to make informed decisions and take meaningful action that supports the greater good. Upon graduation, these students will have the skills to become active members of society and weigh in on issues that impact their communities.
Alternative Spring Break
2017 UCO Alternative Spring Break Applications will open October 2016 on the Alternative Breaks Orgsync page. The apps will close TBD and then students will start the interview process. The link to the application is below. This is a great leadership opportunity and we are excited to offer this to more students with multiple trip options. We are also looking for staff/faculty advisors, if interested email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Each trip will cost between $200-$300 per student. The dates are March 12– 18, 2017.
Trips and Locations Will Be Announced in October 2016.
Thank you for applying. Applications for Spring 2017 will open in October 2016.
Charlotte, North Carolina: Asset Building- Habitat for Humanity
Knoxville, Tennessee: Poverty Programs- Knoxville Leadership Foundation
Albuquerque, New Mexico: Food Insecurity
Local Alternative Spring Break 2016
March 17-19, 2016
Edmond and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (no overnight stay): Food Justice- Urban Garden Programs
Applications Are NOW OPEN Click Here
Previous Trips Include
- Colorado Springs, CO: Pike's Peak Habitat for Humanity
- Corpus Christi, TX: Padre Island National Seashore- Sea Turtle Recovery Division
- Denver, CO (Fraternity and Sorority Life sponsored All-Greek Trip): Animal Welfare
- Chicago, IL: working with the YMCA of Chicago focused on inner city youth developing community activities and various projects. (6 student spots available)
- Nashville, TN: working with the Nashville Rescue Mission to focus on two social issues- hunger and homelessness. Projects include preparing/serving food, painting/light construction, garden work, sorting donated items, stocking a food pantry, etc. (10 student spots available)
- Flagstaff, AZ: working with the Grand Canyon National Park and Hazard Trees focused on Conservation. Projects include removing hazardous trees/plants and other projects. (10 student spots available)
Spring 2013: New York Cares and Responding to Natural Disasters
Experience first hand how non-profits spring into action within communities hit by a natural disaster. March 17 – 23 UCO students have the opportunity to aid in the Superstorm Sandy Disaster Relief Efforts. UCO will be partnering with New York Cares to help clean up debris, muck-out houses, start the rebuilding process and much more in Gerritsen Beach & Far Rockaway, NY.
For more information check out UCO Alternative Spring Break in the news:
UCO STUDENTS SPEND SPRING BREAK HELPING HURRICANE SANDY VICTIMS
Alternative Fall Break
2015 Alternative Fall Break Applications are Now Open
October 15-17, 2015
Selman Living Lab- Freedom, Oklahoma
Participants will be serving at UCO's official Biological Station.
Transportation and Food will be provided.
Selection will be based on an application grading rubric.
Local Day Trips
October 15 and 16
Participants will be serving at Reaching Our City or Central Oklahoma Habitat for Humanity
Transportation will be provided.
Selection will be based on application submission timing.
For more information on the 2015 Alternative Fall Break Trips visit the application page on OrgSync
Alternative Fall Break 2014 focused on serving with Serve Moore (Moore, OK), Turning Point Ministries (Edmond, OK), Restore Hope Ministries (Tulsa, OK), and The Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma (Tulsa, OK).
Alternative Fall Break 2013 focused on serving with the US Defenders and Rebuilding Together to give aid to those in our Metropolitan community.
In 2012, one group went to Joplin, MO to aid in the rebuilding process with Rebuild Joplin and the other group served with the Oklahoma City Public School Foundation's Teachers Warehouse and at Arcadia Lake.
For more information check out UCO Alternative Fall Break in the news: