Campus Safety Tips
- Know the campus and the neighborhood. Know where public places are and where SafeWalk call boxes/ emergency phones are located.
- Use SafeWalk-a free escort service that is provided by Police Services. If you feel uncomfortable walking to your car, residence hall, or other on-campus location, call SafeWalk at 974-2345.
- If you have any specific concerns about campus safety, make these concerns known to administration, the VPP office, and/or UCO Police Services.
- Share your class schedule with others close to you - create a sort of "buddy system"
- Always travel in groups. There is safety in numbers.
- Don't walk alone at night and never use shortcuts.
- Walk with an "air of confidence".
- Walk in lighted areas.
- Keep your hands free.
- Carry your keys assertively and have them ready when you arrive at your destination.
- Consider adding a whistle to your key chain.
- If you are being followed, cross the street, scream, run to an occupied area, or flag down a car.
- If you are driving, check your car before you get in.
- TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!!!!!
Dating Safety Tips
- You are far more likely to be assaulted by someone you know than by a stranger.
- When you go out, let a friend or a family member know where you are going.
- Don't go on blind dates unless you double-date.
- Meet your date somewhere other than your residence.
- Don't be alone with anyone you feel the least bit uncomfortable with.
- Communicate effectively-Make sure NO means NO. Back up your NO with verbal and body language that can't be misinterpreted.
- Be alert and cautious.
- Remember-seclusion makes you more vulnerable.
• And, most important, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, it's time to remove yourself from the situation.
If you have any specific concerns about dating safety, talk with someone you trust, like a friend, family member, or counselor. Also, you can call the Project Coordinator for more information or to schedule an appointment at 405-974-2224. The office is located in Nigh University Center, Room 113. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. If this is an urgent situation or you need more immediate assistance, please call 911 or the UCO Police at 405-974-2345 or contact one of our community resources.