Disability Support Services - a Division of Student Affairs at the University of Central Oklahoma

Grievance and Appeal Procedure

Individuals who believe that they are disabled must provide sufficient documentation to the University's Disability Support Services (DSS) office located in the Nigh University Center, room 309. 

Individuals who believe that they have been treated unfairly in relationship to their documented disability regarding physical, programmatic, attitudinal barriers, disputed requested accommodations, curricular modifications, contested recommended accommodations, etc. with any UCO department/organization or faculty/staff member working in and for the university may register a grievance by submitting an Incident Report Form, available upon request in the DSS office, to the Disability Support Services department.  If not satisfied with DSS' decision, an appeal may be filed with the Equity Office in the Administration Building, room 114D or call (405) 974-3377.  A three-member committee will then offer recommendations to the Executive Vice President for Administration about the grievance and a final decision will be made by the Executive Vice President for Administration to all parties involved in the grievance.

Individuals who are not satisfied with the final decision of the Executive Vice President for Administration may file a complaint with any of the following agencies:

Oklahoma Office of Disability Concerns

2401 NW 23rd, Suite 90

Oklahoma City, OK 73107

800 / 522-8224 (V / TTY)

U. S. Department of Education

Office for Civil Rights, Region VI

1999 Bryan Street, Suite 1620

Dallas, TX 75201

214/661-9600/or 9601 (V), 214/661-9587 (FAX)

Office of the Americans with Disabilities Act

Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice

950 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.

Washington, DC 20530

800/514-0301 (V),800/514-0383 (TTY)  

Any faculty member whom believes an accommodation is not reasonable may file an appeal with the equity office.