How to Approach a StudentApproaching a student can be a formidable task but could potentially save a life. We have provided some simple suggestions on how you can approach a student:
- Find a way to talk with them privately
- Make a connection with them
- Let them know you are concerned about the changes you have noticed
- Allow them to open up to you about what might be provoking the change in behavior-use open ended questions
- Let them know what is discussed will not be discussed with other classmates
- But, don't make promises to keep information confidential: if a student is suicidal or might be a danger to someone else, you will need to convey this information to the UCO Student Counseling Center or UCO Police Department. By not making promises you can then "partner" with the student to help them access services to improve their situation.