The Laboratory of History Museum opened its new permanent exhibit, The Territorial Normal School of Oklahoma: 1890-1904, on February 18, 2013. The exhibit tells the story of early day Edmond and UCO through photographs, text panels, and artifacts.
The exhibit was developed by Museum Studies students and the museum's director, Ms. Heidi Vaughn.
Funding was provided by a grant from the Oklahoma Humanities Council, Dr. Virginia Peters, Mr. Gary Lower, Dr. Allan and Sue Butcher, and UCO's College of Liberal Arts.
The Laboratory of History Museum is dedicated to the preservation of UCO history through the collection and interpretation of objects, oral histories, documents, and photographs. The museum serves the educational needs of faculty and students and offers programs and services to the university and the community.
Under the supervision of the museum director, students in the History-Museum Studies program serve as staff of the museum, giving them the opportunity for "hands-on" training. The students present programs and tours, and participate in the interpretation, exhibition, and care and management of the collection.