- College of Liberal Arts
- Department of History & Geography
- Invest in History and Geography
- Degree Programs
- Upcoming Course Offerings
- Student Organizations
- Study Tours
- Laboratory of History Museum
- Museum History
- General Information
- Programs & Services
- The Collection
- History of UCO
- Contact Us
- Helpful Links
- Western Pacific Institute
- Student Travel Information
100 Years of Preserving History: Artifacts from the University of Central Oklahoma’s Laboratory of History Museum (1915-2015)
Click the title above to browse a sampling of artifacts from the museum’s collection that were donated in 1915.
Permanent exhibits feature a chronology of UCO history beginning with its designation by the Oklahoma Territorial Legislature in 1890 as the Territorial Normal School of Oklahoma.
Museum Director Heidi Vaughn and students in the Museum Studies program recently completed work on a new permanent exhibit detailing the early history of the University of Central Oklahoma and the birth and growth of Edmond from a small stop on the railroad to a bustling community preparing for statehood.
The Normal School's first classes were held on Nov. 9, 1891, in the First Methodist Episcopal Church. Construction on the Normal School Building began the next year, making it the oldest building dedicated to higher education in what was once Oklahoma Territory. Today, that building is known as Old North.
Text, photographs, and artifacts document the university's history while also presenting the relation of national and international events to the lives of the students and changes on campus.