- Department of History & Geography
- Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Geography
- Bachelor of Arts in History
- Bachelor of Arts in History - Museum Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in History - Education
- Graduate Studies in History
- Upcoming Course Offerings
- Student Organizations
- Study Tours
- Laboratory of History Museum
- Western Pacific Institute
- UCO Class Schedule
- Invest in History and Geography
- Student Travel Information
Bachelor of Arts - History Education
Welcome to the Department of History and Geography History Education Program!
The department offers a wide selection of courses in US, European, Asian, Latin American, and African history that engage students in the historian’s craft and prepare them for a successful career as a Social Studies Teacher.
Our program works closely with the College of Education and supports their mission “to provide excellent programs which dynamically meet the needs of a changing society and prepare individuals to be outstanding professionals in the various teaching and non-teaching disciplines represented in the College.”
Our program is also accredited by the National Council for Teacher Education (NCATE) and the National Council of Social Studies (NCSS).
Why get a degree in History Education:
- Upon graduation you will be considered a “Highly Qualified Teacher” by the state of Oklahoma.
- The Student-Teaching experience provides you with the knowledge to be a successful career teacher.
- Hands-on experience.
- No subsequent coursework necessary to become fully certified.
- Traditional Education Program accepted in other states.
- Oklahoma principals recognize UCO History Education graduates as highly employable and ready to teach.
Students are required to enroll and complete coursework in both History and Education. History Education majors must maintain at least a 2.75 GPA for admission into the Teacher Education program. Please contact the Director of History Education, Dr. Justin Quinn Olmstead for further information about this degree program. Dr. Olmstead can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 405.974.5279.