- Department of English
- Faculty and Staff
- Composition Program
- English Education Program
- M.A. Program
- Artists In Residence
- Everett Southwest Literary Award
- Suggested Degree Plans
- Course Rotation
- Current Class Schedule
- Student Organizations
- New Plains Review
- Language and Linguistics Student Conference
- Student Travel Information
- Faculty Resources
- Room Reservation Information
- Contact Us
The Everett Southwest Literary Award
The Everett Family Southwest Literary Award, which is just one of the many generous donations given through the Everett Family Foundation Fund, honors the late Dr. Mark Allen Everett. The Everett Family Literary Award is open to all students and faculty members residing in Oklahoma, New Mexico and Texas, excluding current and former paid employees, faculty and students of the University of Central Oklahoma.
"This award is unique because it aims to reward writers in this region of the country and because of the generous prize amount," notes Constance Squires, Associate Professor of English at the University of Central Oklahoma. Dr. Squires, whose debut novel, Along the Watchtower, was published by Riverhead Books in 2011, oversees the selection process and serves as preliminary judge along with a team of graduate students. The American Book Award-winning poet Allison Hedge Coke will be this year's final judge.
For the fifth contest season of the Everett Southwest Literary Award, we are accepting poetry manuscripts of 75 or more pages from October 5, 2014 until December 5, 2014; the winner will be announced in the spring of 2015. The author of the winning manuscript will receive $5,000 and will be invited to the University of Central Oklahoma to give a reading.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced and continuously paginated.
- The manuscript must be unpublished, although individual poems may have been published previously.
- Please provide two cover pages, one with author's contact information and one with only the title of the collection. The author's name should not appear anywhere within the manuscript.
- Past or present students or employees of the University of Central Oklahoma are ineligible.
- The contest submission fee is $15.00. Checks or money orders are accepted.
If you have questions, drop us a line at email@example.com. Please send your manuscript, together with the entry fee and SASE for contest results, to
The Everett Southwest Literary Prize
Department of English
University of Central Oklahoma
100 N. University Dr., Box 184
Edmond, OK 73034-5209