Admission Requirements for International StudentsThree Latino Students

The University of Central Oklahoma welcomes international students and encourages them to enroll in graduate programs for which they are qualified. International individuals wishing to attend UCO should first contact the University's Office of International Services. This office will assist international applicants with the application process and advise them regarding visa requirements.

Office of International Services
Nigh University Center, Room 137
University of Central Oklahoma, Box 163
100 N. University Drive
Edmond, OK 73034 USA
Telephone: 405-974-2390

The following special regulations apply to international students.

A.  Deadlines for International Students
Due to the amount of time needed to process an international admission application, the Office of International Services has in place the following deadlines:

Fall semester................................................. July 1
Spring semester................................... November 1
Summer semester......................................... April 1

Deadlines for applications to specific graduate programs vary. If the graduate program application deadline precedes the international application deadline, the program deadline will apply. If the international graduate student application deadline precedes the program deadline, the international graduate student application deadline will apply.

B.  Enrollment & the F-1 Visa
While studying at the University of Central Oklahoma, an international graduate student on F-1 visa status must maintain full time enrollment each semester to preserve his/her US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) status.

C.  Undergraduate Degree and Transcripts
Admission to graduate study at UCO requires the completion of a bachelor's degree or a post baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the U.S. or the equivalent degree from another country. The determination of equivalence is made by UCO using generally accepted academic resources.

All graduate school applicants, including international students, must submit official copies of transcripts before their admissions can be finalized. UCO recognizes that obtaining official file copies of international transcripts can sometimes be difficult and time consuming. Accordingly, in some cases the Jackson College of Graduate Studies (JCGS) may grant admission based on examination and photocopying of documents in the applicant's possession pending receipt of official documents. Official documents must be received by the JCGS before the student's admission can be finalized.

D.  International Grades
For the purpose of calculating Grade Point Averages (GPAs), UCO converts grades listed on the transcripts of other institutions to UCO's 4.0 grading scale. Because UCO does not grant grades of "plus" or "minus," a grade of "B+" from another institution, as an example, is recorded at UCO as a grade of "B," and given the value of 3.0.

E.  English Language Proficiency
All students for whom English is a second language must present evidence of proficiency in the English language as required by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE). The following are acceptable ways for potential graduate students to present such evidence of English proficiency:

  1. Test of English as a Foreign Language - TOEFL Requirements
    • score of 550 or higher on the paper exam
    • score of 213 or higher on the computer exam
    • score of 79 or higher on the internet exam
  2. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5
  3.  English Language School Students approved by Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) in limited categories may present evidence of completion of a minimum 12-week course of study at an OSRHE-approved English language school. The categories include those who score as follows on the TOEFL exam:
    • score between 500 - 549 on the paper exam
    • score between 173 - 212 on the computer exam
    • score between 61 - 78 on the internet exam
    • score of 6.0 on International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  4. Complete a baccalaureate or graduate degree from an appropriately accredited college or university where English is the primary teaching language in a country where English is a primary language and that is recognized by professional organizations in the U.S. involved in admissions and international education.
  5. Attend an appropriately accredited US college or university for a minimum of three full-time semesters of satisfactory graduate work.

F.  International Internships
Qualified international juniors, seniors, and graduate students are eligible for International Student Internships both on and off campus. The U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service has approved internships as "Curricular Practical Training." That means that interns may earn money working off-campus as well as on campus. Intern wage rates vary, but they are never lower than $7.25 per hour. For complete information, access the Office of International Services website at: International Student Services