UCO Funeral Service Education Frequently asked questions.

What is the difference between the Bachelor's Degree and Certificate Program?

The course work for the Certificate in Funeral Service meets licensing requirements in many states.  However; additional college hours of credit are required for Oklahoma funeral directing and embalming licensure so the number of hours needed for OK licensure are similar to the hours required for the Bachelor's degree.  The majority of students attending UCO are pursuing the Bachelor's Degree option.  Students should check on the state requirements for the state within which they intend to practice prior to choosing their course of study.

I am from out of state, can I complete the coursework online?

The UCO funeral service program does offer courses that are available online and intends to expand these offerings soon but there are courses that must be attended on campus as well. 

How do I enroll in the Funeral Service Program?

Please follow the step by step instructions under "Admissions" on our home page for admission requirements to the University of Central Oklahoma and the Funeral Service Department.  Your first step is applying to UCO and then declaring Funeral Service as your major.

I want to be a funeral director only or I am only interested in embalming.  Can I get a degree in one or the other?

Currently, you must complete all coursework to be both a funeral director and embalmer.  You must then take both portions of the National Board Exam, the Science exam and the Art exam.  You must pass the Science exam to pursue an Embalming license, and the Arts exam to pursue your Funeral Director's license.

I am a transfer student or I am planning on attending another college to receive my core credits.  How do I know which courses will transfer and from what schools?

If you have questions about transferring to UCO to continue your education in Funeral Service please contact Academic Advisement.

Do you admit students for both Fall and Spring semesters?

Yes.  You may enter as a funeral service student in either the spring or the fall semester.  All funeral service courses are offered in both semesters and the University accepts applications for both.

Is there a student organization associated with Funeral Service in which I can get involved ?

Yes!  Sigma Phi Sigma is the Funeral Service co-ed fraternity.  This group has social events, attends conventions, takes trips, and organizes community service events.  Please see the link in the side bar for more information on how to get involved.

My questions were not answered here who may I contact?

Use this link for More FAQ's about UCO admissions,enrollment,financial aid, graduation,degree checks, etc.

Please contact funeralservice@uco.edu or (405) 974-5001 if you are needing further information.  We would be happy to answer your questions.