College of Fine Arts and Design
- Theatre Arts
- CFAD Stats
Department of Theatre Arts Mission:Helping students learn the knowledge and acquire the skills for professional careers and leadership in theatre and theatre education.
The Department of Theatre Arts is thriving and vigorous. Students encounter a stellar faculty in rigorous academic training as well as engaging in a host of varied and challenging production and performance opportunities. Our positive, creative atmosphere includes:
• A range of production styles from world classics to the always provocative modern drama
• Six productions, 20 senior-directed one-act plays, two improvisational shows, and several Music Theatre productions in which you may participate—per year
• Professional Actor Training—students learn how to take professional headshots, write resumes, and audition
• Professional Design/Technology Training—students learn how to prepare and present portfolios and how to interview for jobs and graduate schools
• Theatre/Communication Education program—is designed for students who want to earn an Oklahoma Secondary Education Teacher’s License in the area of Speech, Drama, and Debate.
• Study Voice Movement and Acting with a Lessac Certified Trainer—more information about Lessac can be found at hhtt;://www.lessacinstitute.com/
• Stimulating opportunities to work with College of Fine Arts & Design’s partner: SUMMER STOCK
• Opportunities to work with guest directors
• Participate in top caliber workshops conducted by professional guest artists—past guest artists include: Larry Silverberg (Meisner), Paul Russell (Casting Director), Vic Perillo (Agent), Steve
Eastin (Actor/On-Camera Acting Coach) to name a few
• Travel to and participation in the Kennedy Center / American College Theatre Festival
• A mastery of academic skills and artistic foundations commensurate with the pursuit of graduate studies
UCO theatre students are recognized for their early professionalism, talent, training, and commitment. Accordingly, even while they are pursuing their degree, they are much in demand as actors and designers in area theatres such as Carpenter Square Theatre, Oklahoma Repertory Theatre, Jewel Box Theatre and Lyric Theatre.
• The Edmond Sun newspaper 2010 sunshine awards “UCO Best Live Theatre”
• Mr. Marmalade was selected as one of the top 12 productions (out of 1,300 nation-wide) by the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival national selection committee. Additionally, two actors received Distinguished Performance Awards and the director received a Distinguished Directing Award.
• Changed Forever was invited to perform a staged reading at the KCACTF regional festival.
• 2011 Oklahoma College Public Relations Association awarded Quin Tran and Sam Ferguson, UCO University Relations, first place for their documentary video the making of "Changed Forever".
• Tartuffe received Meritorious Achievement in Ensemble Acting Award from KCACTF.
• Tongues and Savage Love was invited to perform at the KCACTF Regional Theatre “Night of Invited Scenes”
• Little Women received the following Excellence Awards from KCACTF:
Stage Management, Hair/Wig, Costume Design, Scenic Design, Directing, Ensemble Acting, and three Acting awards