Transfer Information for Teacher Education

Transfer Information for Teacher Education

Welcome to UCO!  We are glad you have chosen to become a Broncho and to complete your undergraduate coursework in Teacher Education here!  We know that transferring from one institution to another can be a confusing process.  This webpage includes a number of Frequently Asked Questions and the answers to help make your transition to UCO a smooth one.

What is the must-have resource for all Teacher Education majors?

That’s easy... The Teacher Education Handbook will likely answer many of your questions regarding the Teacher Education program.

What is the first Teacher Education class I should take at UCO?

PTE 3023: Foundations of American Education in the Department of Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research (formerly named Professional Teacher Education) focuses on the historical, philosophical, political and social influences on education in the United States.

Additionally, this course is the introductory class for Teacher Education and will help familiarize you with the requirements for the program.  It has a 30-hour field experience requirement in addition to the scheduled class times.  Field experience hours must be completed during week days, typically between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m school hours.  You may concurrently take other courses in your major as long as you meet the prerequisites.

To whom should I talk regarding transferring credit from another university to UCO?

You will need to talk to ALL of the following: (1) your undergraduate advisor needs to review the University Core classes, (2) education department chairs need to review the education courses and (3) your program coordinator needs to review your content area courses. See the next four bolded questions and their responses (below) to find out with whom you need to schedule an appointment. 

To whom should I talk regarding general education transfer and substitution courses (University Core classes), as well as major advisement?

Please see UCO’s Academic Advisement website for the most current list of advisors.

What are the required 4x12 general courses that ALL early childhood, elementary and special education majors must complete?

The following classes are required by UCO to meet the State Regents’ 4x12 requirements for Early Childhood, Elementary Education and Special Education Majors. Only courses completed with a grade of "C" or better will satisfy the requirements for Admission to Teacher Education and/or to Student Teaching. Talk to your major advisor at UCO to see if courses from other institutions will transfer for 4x12 courses.





What if I completed education courses at another university?

For the classes you will request we substitute in place of our Teacher Education courses, please gather the following documents:

Please note UCO’s Teacher Education protocol for approving course substitutions requires the following:

Additionally, please note:

To whom should I talk regarding Teacher Education course substitutions?

Please look at the degree sheet for your major as listed in UCO’s most current catalog.

Determine which UCO course(s) you are requesting to be substituted with your past university’s work.

For courses beginning with... Make an appointment with... FACS, OCTE Dr. Candy Sebert


Dr. Pat Couts


Dr. Barbara Green ECED, ELED Dr. Paulette Shreck PTE Dr. Diane H. Jackson HLTH, KINS, PHED Dr. Debra Traywick ENG, HIST, MATH, BIO, ART, MUS, etc.
(programs outside of the College of Education and Professional Studies) the program coordinator listed in the next section

Additionally, to whom should I talk regarding the transfer of major (typically, 3000- or 4000-level) content area coursework and specific information about my program of study?

Please contact the appropriate program coordinator who can best provide current information about your major coursework and initial preparation as a teacher.

If your major is... Make an appointment with the program coordinator... Department Allied Health Education Dr. Karen Barnes Adult Education & Safety Sciences Art Education (K-12) Dr. Candice Schilz Art Business & Information Technology Education/Marketing Educ. Dr. Frank Nelson Adult Education & Safety Sciences Dance Education (K-12) Ms. Jill Priest Dance Early Childhood Education Dr. Kelly Baker Curriculum & Instruction Elementary Education Dr. Dan Vincent Curriculum & Instruction English Education (6-12) Dr. Laura Bolf-Beliveau English Family & Consumer Sciences Dr. Candy Sebert Adult Education & Safety Sciences History Education (6-12) Dr. Allison Nazzall History Math Education (6-12) Dr. Carol Lucas Math Modern Languages Education (K-12) Dr. Teresa Moinette Modern Languages Music (Instrumental; K-12) Mr. Jeff Kidwell Music Music (Vocal; K-12) Dr. Darla Eshelman Music Physical Education (K-12) Dr. Debra Traywick Kinesiology & Health Studies Science Education (6-12) Dr. Elizabeth Allan Biology Special Education (Mild/Moderate & Severe/Profound; K-12) Dr. Pat Couts Advanced Professional & Special Services Speech-Language Pathology Dr. Scott McLaughlin Advanced Professional & Special Services Theatre/Communication Education Ms. Hayley Thompson Theatre Trade & Industrial Education Dr. Len Bogner Adult Education & Safety Sciences

What are essential deadlines for me to follow in the Teacher Education program?

Please see the next round of deadlines for relevant Teacher Education applications:

When am I eligible to apply for Admission to Teacher Education?

You should apply to Admission to Teacher Education as soon as you have completed (or will complete by the end of the current semester) ALL of the following requirements:

To whom should I talk regarding Teacher Education requirements, procedures, applications, deadlines, clinical experiences, etc.?

A comprehensive guide to our Teacher Education program, the Teacher Education Handbook, and the most current deadlines are provided online:

For additional information, please contact the appropriate UCO professional:

If your questions, concern, and/or needs are regarding... Speak to/make an appointment with... Department General Information—Certification Test Dates, Deadlines, Background Check Information, etc. Ms. Sarah Moore or Ms. Kristy Elkins, Administrative Assistants Teacher Education Services Field Experiences, Admission to Teacher Education or Teacher Certification & Testing Ms. Karen Davis, Coordinator Teacher Education Services Admission to Student Teaching, Student Teaching or the Urban Teacher Preparation Academy Ms. Karyn Hutchens, Coordinator Teacher Education Services Pass-Port, the Teacher Education Electronic Portfolio Mr. Brett King, Coordinator Teacher Education Services

How many hours of field experience, prior to student teaching, are required?

Programs differ in the number of hours they require due to practica and/or service learning activities. The program coordinator for your major can provide the details of field experience expectations. However, the following list provides the minimal field experience hours required of all UCO Teacher Education majors:

Whom do I contact to find out if my field experience hours will transfer to UCO?

Please contact Dr. Diane H. Jackson, Chair of Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research. To substitute for PTE 3023 or 4533 hours, the field experiences must have been completed in the P-12 school setting in conjunction with coursework similar to what is provided in either/both of these PTE courses. Other requirements for substitutions may exist, as well. Field hours completed as part of a service project outside the P-12 school setting, such as at a summer camp, etc., are not eligible for substitution.

Does participation in field experiences and student teaching require a national background check?

Yes! In order for you to be placed in a field experience, you must clear a national certified background check with no felonies, period, and with no misdemeanors that are a cause of concern for working with children. Before being cleared to visit any school site as a part of UCO teacher training, you must “pass” the background check, print off the first four pages of your score report and submit it to Teacher Education Services in the Education Building, Room 207. Please ask your program coordinator and/or course professors when you should complete the background check process. Contact the Teacher Education Services Office (405-974-5710) for more details.

What is the foreign language requirement for Teacher Education majors?

All students who are entering freshmen, transferring to an Oklahoma institution from out of state, or enrolling in a certification program beginning fall 1997 and thereafter are required to meet the foreign language competency. The foreign language competency must be met prior to Admission to Student Teaching.

The competency requirement is limited to speaking and listening only. The foreign language competency at the novice-high level can be met in the following ways:

Does UCO’s Teacher Education program have a portfolio requirement?

Yes! The Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation requires that all State Teacher Education programs have an electronic portfolio.

How do I purchase and learn how to use the required electronic portfolio system (Pass-Port) for undergraduate Teacher Education majors (with the exception of Speech Language Pathology)?

One of the first things to do after transferring to UCO will be to talk to the program coordinator who oversees your major. Ask when you need to purchase the Pass-Port electronic portfolio account.

To acquire your Pass-Port account, you will need to visit the UCO website. You will login using your UCONNECT as the username and passport as the password. If you experience problems or are unable to create an account, please visit the Education Building Room 112. You will be required to purchase a subscription and your receipt will be sent to your university email account. Currently, the cost is $38 per year with discounts for purchasing multiple-year subscriptions.

Once you have successfully purchased your account and changed your password, you are advised to visit the Computer Lab located in the Education 112 for training. If you need additional assistance, please visit the Pass-Port support site.

[Note: Typically, Pass-Port licenses must be purchased during PTE 3023: Foundations of American Education OR, for those substituting the Foundations course from another university, the Pass-Port license must be purchased during your first Teacher Education courses at UCO. Again, talk to your program coordinator.]

What Teacher Certification Exams will I be required to take to complete the program?

The following exams are required by the deadlines noted:

For more information regarding testing requirements, time frames and constraints, competencies and study guides, cost and locations, etc., see this website.

[Note: Students must make sure to save their test results on a computer hard drive, flash drive, etc. There is a minimal charge for replacing lost test results.]

What scholarships and tuition waivers might be available for Teacher Education majors?

[Note: Scholarships are available to all students starting in the first semester that they are enrolled in and taking classes at UCO. Scholarships are not given to transfer students prior to their first full semester. Students who apply for and receive scholarships must be returning to classes at UCO the following fall semester. Please visit this page for more information.]

How will Career Services assist me in finding employment when I graduate?

What University-sponsored organizations are specifically for Teacher Education majors?

Please contact the appropriate sponsor(s) who can best provide current information about opportunities with these organizations.

Teacher Education-Related Organizations Get more information from... Department Student Oklahoma Education Association (SOEA) Dr. Susan Scott Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research Kappa Delta Pi (KDP) Dr. Diane Jackson
Dr. Kathy Brown
Dr. Carol Lucas
Ms. Karen Davis 
Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research (Drs. Jackson & Brown), Math (Dr. Lucas) & TES (Ms. Davis) Phi Upsilon Omicron Dr. Susan Miller
Dr. Darlene Kness  Human Environmental Sciences Physical Education Major's Club Ms. Susan McLemore Kinesiology & Health Studies Student Association of Family & Consumer Sciences Dr. Candy Sebert Adult Education & Safety Sciences Student Council for Exceptional Children (SCEC) Dr. Donna Kearns Psychology National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association Dr. Scott McLaughlin Advanced Professional & Special Services

Full HTML Version