College of Education and Professional Studies
Dr. Kaye Sears
Phone: (405) 974-5786
Office: HES 100E
- Ed.D, Higher Education: Family/Child Development, Oklahoma State University, 1978
- M.Ed., Education: Child Development, Central State University, 1969
- B.S., Home Economics, University of Oklahoma, 1961
Dr. Sears’ doctorate was in Higher Education with an emphasis in family and child development. She taught as an adjunct from 1972-1975, became a fulltime faculty member of the Human Environmental Science Department in 1975.
For the next 32 years, she was graduate advisor and faculty for the Family and Child Studies Masters’ Degree program and the undergraduate programs. She was also Administrator of the Child Study Center and taught most courses for a number of years.
Before coming to University of Oklahoma, Dr. Sears was a consultant for the Oklahoma State Department of Health, Maternal and Child Health Division, as a Pediatric Consultant in Nutrition Education for children from 1970-1975, and previous to that, was a Head Start consultant for the Kickapoo Head Start Regional Training Center in McCloud, Ok. Dr. Sears became Chair of the Department of Human Environmental Sciences in 2007 and continues in that position and teaches in the field of Child Guidance.
Dr. Sears is licensed as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist since 1991 and is a Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE), Certified Child and Parenting Specialist (CCPS), Clinical member of the American Association of Marriage and Family therapists, and holds a Mediation Institute Certificate.
I have been a Board member in several capacities through the years including president more than once of the following state organizations: Oklahoma Council on Family Relations, Early Childhood Association of Oklahoma, Oklahoma Association for the Education of Young Children. I remain a board member at this time. I was on the committee that began the Oklahoma Council on Family Relations and the Oklahoma Association for the Education of Young Children. I have been a sponsor of our student professional organizations, Campus Council on Family Relations and the UCO Early Childhood Association for all of the years I have been a faculty member.
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Certified Family Life Educator
- Certified Child and Parenting Specialist
- Mediation Institute Certificate (Jim Stovall)
- Vanderford Teaching Award
- Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy Lifetime Achievement "Friend of Children Award" 2004