Dr. James Machell
Dr. James Machell, Dean
Phone: (405) 974-5701
Office: EDU 213
- Ph.D., Educational Administration, Curriculum and Supervision, 1991, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
- M.Ed., Elementary Administration, 1984, Central State University (University of Central Oklahoma), Edmond, Oklahoma
- B.A., Elementary Education, 1974, Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Jim’s professional career began in 1974 teaching primarily 4th grade students at Ridgeview Elementary School in the Oklahoma City Pubic School District where he remained until 1985. In 1985, Jim was encouraged by Father Jack Petuskey of St. Francis of Assisi Parish to pursue the vacant principal position at Rosary School. He served the St. Francis/Rosary Community as principal between 1985 and 1992. In 1992, Jim began his career in higher education, accepting a faculty appointment as an assistant professor in the Department of Educational Leadership at the University of Wyoming. In 1997, Jim accepted a position as a faculty member and program coordinator for a statewide cooperative doctoral program in educational leadership at Central Missouri State University where he served in various capacities, including department chair, until 2005. In 2005, he returned to his home state of Oklahoma accepting the position of dean of the College of Education and Professional Studies at the University of Central Oklahoma, where he continues to serve in that capacity.
- Dean, College of Education and Professional Studies University of Central Oklahoma, July 2005 - present.
- Professor and Chair, Department of Educational Leadership and Human Development, Central Missouri State University, August 2000 - 2005.
- Coordinator, Statewide Cooperative Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership, Central Missouri Statewide University, August 1997 - 2005.
- Associate Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Human Development, Central Missouri State University, August, 1997 - August, 2000.
- Doctoral Faculty, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis, University of Missouri - Columbia, August 1997 - present.
- Assistant Professor, Unit of Educational Leadership, Division of Leadership and Human Development, University of Wyoming, August, 1992 - July, 1997
- Principal, Rosary Catholic School, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, August, 1985 - July, 1992
- Teacher, Oklahoma City Public Schools, August, 1974 - July, 1985
- Feb. 2011 - Distinguished Graduate Award, Christ the King School, Oklahoma City, OK (in conjunction with the National Catholic Education Association)
- May 2010 - University of Central Oklahoma, College of Education and Professional Studies, Elizabeth H. Threat Diversity Initiative Award (awarded by college faculty).
- Mountford, M., Ehlert, M., Machell, J., & Cockrell, D. (2007). Traditional and personal admissions criteria: predicting candidate performance
- In US educational leadership programmes. International journal of leadership in education. (10) 2, April-June, 2007, p. 191-210.
- Machell, J., Ehlert, M., Hutchinson, S., Mountford, M., Petersen, G., Cockrell, D. & Messner, P. (2006). An examination of the selection process for Missouri’s statewide doctoral program. Journal of School Leadership.
- Thomas, D., Machell, J., & Bowman, J. (2005). University-authorized charter schools: A unique component of the school choice movement. In C. L. Fulmer & F. Dembowski (Eds.). Educational leadership: Crediting the past, challenging the present, and changing the future. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Mohn, C. & Machell, J. (2005 ). Re-conceptualizing school leader learning: Blurring the lines between staff development and university-based administration preparation. Planning and Changing.
- Machell, J., Basom, M., Sorenson, D., & Berube, W. (2003). Graduate student involvement in developing assessment criteria in educational leadership classes. Planning and Changing 34 (3/4), 209-228.
- Evans, C., Machell, J., DeLong, D., Webster, J., Hughes, K., Wilson, D., Deering, P., & Scoggan, B. (2009). Lessons learned with partnerships. Academic Exchange Quarterly.
- Machell, J. (2007). Globalization and higher education: Negotiating opportunities and challenges. Business Review: A Journal of St. Joseph’s College of Business Administration. (2) 1, June 2007, p. 39-49.
- Machell, J. (2002). Turning it into an opportunity (case study). In Short, P. and Greer, J. (eds.). Leadership in empowered schools: Themes from innovative efforts. (2nd edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
Full HTML Version