College of Education and Professional Studies
Dr. Rachelle Franz
Phone: (405) 974-3414
Office: CTL 224
- Education Specialist in Teacher Leadership, 2011, Walden University
- Master of Science in Education, 2001, Southwestern Oklahoma State University
- Bachelor of Science in Education, 1998, Southwestern Oklahoma State University
Mrs. Rachelle Franz, Instructor, in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Studies, teaches physical education, health, and fitness courses and has research interests in the benefits of physical activity for all ages. She has been certified as a physical fitness specialist by Kenneth Cooper Aerobic Institute. She chairs the programming work group for UCO’s Healthy Campus Leadership Team which consists of students, faculty, staff, and community partners that work together to create a healthier campus. She has taught middle school physical education in Virginia, Kansas, and Oklahoma.
While teaching in Oklahoma, she received a grant through the Oklahoma State Health Department. This grant allowed her to develop a fitness center for middle school teachers and students, giving them the opportunity to participate in daily, physical activity. Recently, she helped implement UCO’s Walk This Weigh program, a community-based walking program for UCO students and employees, City of Edmond employees, and business and individual participants from surrounding communities. The program was funded by the Oklahoma City Community foundation – Healthy Lifestyles Grant.
In addition to her passion for teaching, she has recently developed a strong interest in research opportunities for building community partnerships. Rachelle has authored four on-campus grants, each one in collaboration with a community partner. She offers enthusiasm and passion for educating others about the benefits of physical activity, building partnerships between UCO and community members, and modeling a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Franz, R. & Franz, M. (March, 2011). Practice What You TEACH. Presentation at SOEA Spring Convention, UCO, Edmond, OK.
- Franz, R. (April 20, 2011). Becoming Competent in the Tenet of Transformative Learning. Panel Presenter for Transformative Learning Conference, UCO, Edmond, OK.
- Borgert, K., Steggles, S., Franz, R., & Powers, M. (November, 2010). Building Community Partnerships to Promote Physical Activity Among Elder Adults. Poster presented at Oklahoma Research Day, Lawton, OK.
- Salvador, M., Waring, K., Cowan, S., & Franz, R. (November, 2010). Intergenerational and Cultural Community Garden: A Pilot Study. Poster presented at Oklahoma Research Day, Lawton, OK.
- Franz, R. (October, 2010). Walk Your Way to Fitness. Presentation for Emeritus Faculty at University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, OK.
- Wallace, T., & Franz, R. (October, 2010). Survival Tactics for Career Preparation. Concurrent session at Oklahoma Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance annual convention, Norman, OK.
- Franz, R. (October 2009). Heart Rate Monitors: Everything You Need to Know to Make Them W.O.R.K. for You and Your Students. Workshop presentation at Oklahoma Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Convention, Norman, OK.
- Franz, R., Shurtz, K. & Wallace, T. (October 2009) Total body training. Seminar presented at Oklahoma Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Convention, Norman, OK.
- Franz, R. (July 2009). Family Fitness. Lunch-n-Learn workshop presented to UCO Walk this Weigh participants, Edmond, OK.
- Cowan,S., Fairless, T., Franz, R., Kness, D., Park, G., Sokoff, M., Vincent, C., & Williams, C. (August, 2009). Reigniting the Passion: Applying the Principles in Parker Palmer’s “The Courage to Teach”. Concurrent session for Faculty Enhancement Day at University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, OK.