College of Education and Professional Studies
Dr. Bryan Duke, Assistant Dean
Phone: (405) 974-5529
Office: EDU 207
- Ph.D. Instructional Psychology and Technology (December 2003), University of Oklahoma
- M.Ed. Secondary Administration (May 1995), University of Central Oklahoma
- B.A.Ed. English Education (May 1991), University of Central Oklahoma
Dr. Bryan L. Duke is the Assistant Dean & Director of Educator Preparation and Professor of Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research at the College of Education and Professional Studies at the University of Central Oklahoma. He has been in education for twenty-one years, serving his first eleven as a junior high and high school English teacher, as well as an administrator. In 2002, he was selected as Moore Public Schools’ (Moore, OK) District Teacher of the Year. Currently, he teaches graduate courses in advanced educational psychology, advanced developmental psychology and managing secondary classrooms at the University. He served as president of the Oklahoma Association of Teacher Educators and as the Third Vice President of the Oklahoma Council of Teachers of English. Currently, he is the historian for the Oklahoma Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development. He has been a researcher with the Oklahoma A+ Schools research team for seven years. Additionally, he has written curriculum and participated in national institutes for teaching Shakespeare with the Folger Shakespeare Library (Washington, D.C.), Shakespeare and Company (Lenox, MA), and the Globe Theatre (London, England).
- 2009 Young Educator Award from the Jeannine, Rainbolt College of Education, University of Oklahoma (Norman, OK)
- 2008 College of Education & Professional Studies’ Award for Collaborative Team Work, University of Central Oklahoma
- 2006 Vanderford Distinguished Teacher Award for the College of Education and Professional Studies, University of Central Oklahoma
- 2006 College of Education & Professional Studies’ Emergent Faculty Award for Professional Contributions, University of Central Oklahoma
- 2002 Masonic Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2001-2002 Moore Public Schools’ District Teacher of the Year
- 2001-2002 Westmoore High School Teacher of the Year (Moore Public Schools)
Refereed Journal Publications
- Kauffman, D. F., Yilmaz Soylu, M., & Duke, B. L. (2011). Validation of the motivation to teach scale. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 40, 279-290.
- Duke, B. L., & Nelson, R. M. (2007). Using rubrics as a cognitive tool: Developing metacognition in the process of writing. Oklahoma English Journal, 20(2), 45-52.
- Greene, B. A., Miller, R. B., Crowson, H. M., Duke, B. L., & Akey, K. L. (2004). Predicting high school students’ cognitive engagement and achievement: Contributions of classroom perceptions and motivation. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 29(4), 462-482.
- Duke, B.L., & Green, M.H. (1999). Getting students "hooked": Using theatrics to encourage student investment in learning. Journal of the Oklahoma Association of Teacher Educators, 3, 14-22.
Published Book Chapter
- Duke, B. L. (2008). Approaches to meaningful learning. In J. Corwin, E. G. Overrocker, W. McCormick, & S. Rahm-Barnett, College talk: Conversations for Central Success. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
Published Research Reports
- Raiber, M. A., Duke, B. L., Dell, C. E., & Jackson, D. H. (2010). OKA+ Research Impact Study.
- Duke, B. L. (2010). Composite narratives. Research Report Volume 1 Reflecting Longitudinal Findings (2002-2007). Edmond, OK: Oklahoma A+ Schools® & U of Central Oklahoma.
- Raiber, M. A., Duke, B. L., Barry, N. H., Dell, C. E., & Jackson, D. H. (2010). Recognizably different: A meta-analysis of Oklahoma A+ Schools. Research Report Volume 5 Reflecting Longitudinal Findings (2002-2007). Edmond, OK: Oklahoma A+ Schools & U of Central Oklahoma.
- Raiber, M. A., Duke, B. L., Barry, N. H., Dell, C. E., & Jackson, D. H. (2009). A brief summary of the Oklahoma A+ Schools® framework implementation in schools 2002-2007.
- Raiber, M. A., Dell, C. E., Duke, B. L., Jackson, D. H., & Barry, N. H., (2008). Oklahoma A+ Schools 2002-2007 cumulative research report: Executive summary.
- Barry, N. H., Raiber, M. A., Dell, C. E., Jackson, D. H., & Duke, B. L. (2006). Oklahoma A+ Schools research report: 2005-2006 academic year.