Dr. Kanika Bhargava
Phone: (405) 974-5556
Office: HES 201D
- Doctor of Philosophy, Nutrition and Food Science. Wayne State University, June 2013
- Master of Science, Food Science and Technology. Guru Nanak Dev University, April 2004
- Bachelor of Applied Science, Food Technology. Delhi University, April 2002
- Institute of Food Technologist, professional member
- Phi Tau Sigma Honorary Society of Food Technologist, member
- Certified HACCP Auditor, American Society of Quality, 2009-2015
- Certified Food Scientist, Institute of Food Technologist, 2014-2017
- ASM Travel Award 2013
- Great Lakes Conference on Food Protection Continuing Education Award 2013
- IFT Leader Hardship Travel Award 2012
- Nell I Mondy Fellowship, Graduate Women In Science 2011
- Thomas C. Rumble Fellowship, Wayne State University 2008-2009
NTRN 1513 – Introduction to Nutrition , NTRN 1613 – Principles of Food Preparation and Lab, NTRN 5913 – Advanced Food Science
- Sun, S., Canning, C. B., Bhargava, K., Sun, X., Zhu, W., Zhou, N., ... & Zhou, K. (2015). Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers with Potent and Broad Spectrum Antimicrobial Activity from the Marine Sponge Dysidea. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters.
- Bhargava, K., Conti, D. S., da Rocha, S. R., & Zhang, Y. (2015). Application of an oregano oil nanoemulsion to the control of foodborne bacteria on fresh lettuce. Food microbiology, 47, 69-73.
- Bhargava K. and Yifan Zhang. Prevalence and Characterization of Methicillin Resistant Coagulase-negative Staphylococci (CoNS) in Retail Meat. Food Microbiology. 2014, 42:56-60.
- Bhargava, K. and Y. Zhang. Multidrug-resistant Coagulase-negative Staphylococci (CoNS) in Food Animals. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 2012, 113(5): 1027-36
- Bhargava, K., X. Wang, S. Donabedian, M. Zervos, L. da Rocha, and Y. Zhang. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Retail Meat, Detroit, Michigan, USA. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2011, 17: 1135-1137.
- Zhang, Y., X. Wang, J. T. LeJeune, M. Zervos, and K. Bhargava. Comparison of Phenotypic Methods in Predicting Methicillin Resistance in Coagulase-negative Staphylococcus (CoNS) from Animals. Research in Veterinary Science. 2011, 90: 23-25.
For complete list of publications, please check:
- Bhargava, K., Tahlan, V and Zhang Y. Antimicrobial and Synergistic Potential of t-cinnamaldehyde Nano-Emulsion Combined with Commercially Available Antimicrobials against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. International Association for Food Protection Annual Meeting, 2015, Portland, OR.
- Craig, C., Vital, W., Almeida, M., Barros, M., Kotturi, H.S., & Bhargava, K. 2015. Evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of cinnamon oil nanoemulsion against methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Oklahoma Research Day, Tahlequah, Ok.
- Chen, X. and Bhargava, K. Physicochemical and Microbial Properties of Yogurt Supplemented With Chickpea Flour. Annual Meeting Institute of Food Technologist, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Jetto, C. and Bhargava, K. Formulation, Physical and Chemical Characterization of Lentil Based Yogurt and its Comparison with Traditional Dairy Yogurt. Annual Meeting Institute of Food Technologist, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- George, S. Bhargava, K. Food Safety Knowledge among Undergraduate College Students: A Questionnaire-Based Survey. International Association for Food Protection Annual Meeting, 2015, Portland, OR.
- Bhargava K., D. S. Conti, S. da Rocha and Y. Zhang. Application of oregano oil nano-emulsions to inhibit foodborne pathogens on bagged lettuce. Institute of Food Technologist Annual Meeting, 2013, Chicago, IL.
- Bhargava, K. and Y. Zhang. Characterization of Methicillin-resistant Coagulase-negative Staphylococci (MRCoNS) and Methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) Isolates from Retail Meat to Investigate Their Role in the Emergence of MRSA. American Society of Microbiology General Meeting, 2013, Denver, CO.
- Bhargava, K., M. Chbib, and Y. Zhang. Synergistic effect of Natural Antimicrobials/derivatives against Salmonella Typhimurium. International Association for Food Protection Annual Meeting, 2012, Providence, RI.
Full HTML Version