College of Education and Professional Studies
- Adult Education and Safety Science
- Advanced Professional and Special Services
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Bilingual Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Education (M.Ed.)
- Elementary Education
- Elementary Education (M.Ed.)
- Oklahoma Elementary Math Specialist
- Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research
- Human Environmental Sciences
- Kinesiology and Health Studies
- Faculty/Staff Resources
- Good Shepherd Catholic School
- Study Tours
- Urban Teacher Preparation Academy
Bachelor of Science in Education in Elementary Education
Students majoring in elementary education receive a Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.Ed.) degree and are eligible to apply for an Oklahoma Teaching License. Upon completion of a successful residency year, they are eligible to apply for a Standard Elementary Certification for grades 1-8.
The University of Central Oklahoma (UCO), the state's oldest preparer of educators, began as the Territorial Normal School in 1890, one year after the opening of Native American lands for settlement and seventeen years prior to Oklahoma's statehood in 1907. The Territorial Normal School has undergone much growth and six name changes to become a university enrolling nearly 16,000 students in undergraduate and graduate program, the state's largest public regional university.
- The University of Central Oklahoma's College of Education & Professional Studies is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teaching Education and the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation
- Professors frequently interact with students in and out of class
- Professors truly care about their student's success
- Small class sizes for more personal contact
- Classes taught by full-time professors experienced in teaching and subject matter
- Multiple field experiences in various curriculum areas at different school sites with a variety of elementary-age students
- UCO Elementary Education majors pass state certification exams at a consistently high rate
- Learning experiences are hands-on and student centered
- Leadership opportunities and minor available
What Graduates Say
"I think UCO offers a program that prepares students to be the most effective teaching they could possibly be."
"Qualified beyond reproach, the UCO faculty know their subject matter well, impart their knowledge clearly and completely, and take a genuine interest in their students."
"The teachers really care about who you are and want you to succeed."
"Now that I'm in my third year of teaching, I can't imagine being better prepared than I was by the program at UCO."
- University Core Curriculum
- Major Support Coursework
- English.............12 hours
- Math................12 hours
- Science............12 hour
- Social Studies...12 hours
- Elementary Education and Professional Teacher Education
- Core Area.....................15 hours
- Elementary Emphasis.....18 hours
- Professional Education....28 hours
Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Nigh University Center, Room 121K
Department of Curriculum and Instruction:
Chambers Library, Room 124