College of Education and Professional Studies
- Adult Education and Safety Science
- Donna Nigh Department of Advanced Professional and Special Services
- School Counseling
- Educational Leadership
- Library Media Education
- Special Education
- Special Education (M.Ed.)
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Superintendent Certification
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research
- Human Environmental Sciences
- Kinesiology and Health Studies
- College Faculty & Staff Directory
- Faculty/Staff Resources
- Study Tours
- Urban Teacher Preparation Academy
- Community Partners & Services
- Prospective Teachers Academy
Bachelor of Science in Education in Special Education
Special Education is a challenging and rewarding career for anyone who is willing to work hard and wants to make a difference in the lives of others. The faculty and staff in the Special Education Program take pride in offering excellent, student-centered programs at the Bachelors and Masters level. All of our programs are fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
The mission of the Special Education program is to prepare highly skilled teachers as well as to provide leadership to the field of Special Education at local, state, national and international levels for the purpose of assisting individuals with disabilities in acquiring greater independence in an increasingly diverse and technological, global community. Philosophically, research-based theory and practices are the foundations of our teacher-training program. The Special Education program is committed to the preparation of personnel who celebrate and foster Inclusion, Diversity, and Multiculturalism.
Undergraduate and graduate programs are organized around two sequences of study that lead to one or more areas of Special Education teacher certification in the state of Oklahoma. Special Education degree programs at UCO offer teacher certification in the areas of Mild-Moderate Disabilities and/or Severs-Profound/Multiple Disabilities.
UCO values new, transfer and graduate students. In each of our Special Education specializations, traditional lecture and field-based courses provide many opportunities for students to work with children in both traditional and non-traditional school settings. Under the guidance and direction of UCO faculty, course work emphasizes the most up-to-date knowledge in the field of special education. The Special Education program courses are among the most highly rated in the state. For those who qualify, limited scholarships may be available at the undergraduate and graduate level. The placement rate of our graduates has exceeded 95% over the past five years.
- Teach students with mild-moderate disabilities in public and private schools
- Teach students with severe-profound disabilities in public and private schools
- Serve as a special education consultant
- Serve as a special education lobbyist
- Serve in special education administrative capacity (e.g. supervisor, trainer)
- Private tutoring or school