College of Education and Professional Studies
- Adult Education and Safety Science
- Donna Nigh Department of Advanced Professional and Special Services
- School Counseling
- Educational Leadership
- Library Media Education
- Special Education
- Special Education (M.Ed.)
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Superintendent Certification
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Sciences, Foundations & Research
- Human Environmental Sciences
- Kinesiology and Health Studies
- College Faculty & Staff Directory
- Faculty/Staff Resources
- Study Tours
- Urban Teacher Preparation Academy
- Community Partners & Services
- Prospective Teachers Academy
Master of Education in Special Education
The specific goal of the Special Education Program is to provide specialized training in the areas of mild-moderate disabilities and severe-profound/multiple disabilities. This goal includes the following objectives:
- The program will provide training that meets academic and practicum competencies required by the Oklahoma Commission on Teacher Preparation and the National Council for Exceptional Children.
- The program will provide graduate students opportunities to become reflective, responsive, and resourceful in meeting the academic, behavioral, emotional, and social needs of the specific area of specialization selected.
- The program will provide experiences for graduate students to develop the ability to facilitate learning through implementation of various teaching strategies, manage classrooms and behavior, assess academic levels, plan individualized education programs, provide service to the community, and conduct relevant research.
The graduate program in mild-moderate disabilities is designed to offer advanced study to those students interested in infants, early childhood, elementary, middle, secondary, and adult education of students with mild/moderate needs.
The graduate program in severe-profound/multiple disabilities is designed to offer advanced study to those students interested in infants, early childhood, elementary, middle, secondary and adult education of students with severe-profound/multiple needs.
Each program provides practicum experiences with children with disabilities in various settings.
To be recommended for a standard Oklahoma license to teach, students must also complete professional teacher education courses and pass the appropriate certification tests.
- Teach students with mild-moderate disabilities in public and private schools
- Teach students with severe-profound disabilities in public and private schools
- Serve as a special education consultant
- Serve as a special education lobbyist
- Serve in special education administrative capacity (e.g. supervisor, trainer)
- Private tutoring or school