College of Education and Professional Studies
- College Faculty & Staff Directory
- Faculty/Staff Resources
- Study Tours
- Community Partners & Services
Did You Know?
UCO and the College of Education and Professional Studies has one of only six academic programs for the preparation of athletic trainers that have obtained full accreditation through the Council for the Accreditation of Athletic Training Education, the gold standard of accreditations for this field. Our program is the only graduate level (master's degree) program of its type in the state.
On April 2, 2012, the College of Education and Professional Studies hosted five international guests as part of the American Language: Connecting English Teachers to U. S. Society and Culture program, an initiative sponsored by the United States Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program. The specific objectives for this project are to enhance the visitors’ understanding of American culture and history, to showcase the geographical and multicultural diversity of American English and its dialects, to provide opportunities for visitors to interact with language teachers and students and exchange views with teachers on pedagogical methodology, and to connect visitors with educational policy makers at the national, state, and local levels. Dr. April Haulman, professor and program coordinator of the master’s program in Bilingual / Teaching English as a Second Language program and Ms. Cheryl Huffman, program design, evaluation and professional development consultant, made presentations to the visitors focusing on initiatives related to English language learners in our state and region.
International visitors included:
- Mr. Allani Lazare Ogoutegbe, Inspector of English Teaching in Secondary Schools, National Office of Pedagogic Inspection, Benin;
- Ms. Fatma Ismail Wali, Head, English Language Department, Sheikh Khalifa Secondary School, Monbasa, Kenya;
- Ms. Izabela Multarzynska, Teacher Consultant, Malopolskie Teachers Learning Center, Poland;
- Ms. Rossana Vaoaiga Mauala, Language Lecturer, National University of Somoa, Faculty of Education, Samoa; and
- Mr. Ariyaratnam Harry Gnanarajan, Head Master, Primary School Coordinator, English Language Programs, St. John’s College, Jaffna, Sri Lanka
Visitors were accompanied by Mr. Donta Taylor, English Language Officer, U.S. Department of State, and Ms. Kay Bickham who served as local visit programmer. This international exchange opportunity included visits to several other U.S. cities. In addition to visiting the UCO campus, the Oklahoma City tour included meetings with the Oklahoma State Department of Education, the Sam Noble Museum on the University of Oklahoma Campus, several schools and other service agencies in the Oklahoma City area.