College of Education and Professional Studies

Emilee Bounds
Graduate Student Admissions and Student Success
University of Central Oklahoma

Contact Information

Education Building, Room 207
Phone: (405) 974-5710
Fax: (405) 974-3878

Dr. Bryan Duke
Assistant Dean/Director-Educator Preparation

Mrs. Karen Davis
Coordinator of Field Experiences & Teacher Certification

Mrs. Cynthia Howard
Coordinator of Student Teaching

Dr. Kim Pennington
Coordinator of School Partnerships

Mr. Jace Knox
Coordinator of Educator Preparation Data Management

Ms. Kristy Farris
Administrative Assistant

Mrs. Jan Anderson
Administrative Assistant

Frequently Asked Questions:
Trak-1 Background Checks

1. Who needs to complete a background check?

  • ALL students enrolled in any College of Education and Professional Studies class which requires students to work with vulnerable adults and/or minors (children under the age of 18) will be required to have a background check on file before they begin working with these adults and/or minors. This includes field experiences/practicums/ internships and any class assignment or activity that involve vulnerable adults and/or minors.

2. What is the cost for my background check?

  • $10.29 paid directly to Trak-1 with a credit or debit card.

3. How often do I have to get a background check?

  • All background checks conducted through Trak-1 with the College of Education and Professional Studies are good for one academic calendar year (fall, spring and summer semester). For example: If you get a background check on October 2014, you will be cleared for fall 2014, spring 2015 and summer 2015.

4. How do I get the background checked started?

  • At the bottom of this page there is a link to the Trak-1 website designed specifically for our students. Once you click that link, you will begin to set up your account with Trak-1. You will need to provide your first name, last name, and a valid email address. Also, please select the department in which your major is housed, classification (undergraduate or graduate), and your major. For those of you that are not CEPS majors, there is a “Major Outside CEPS” option. You will also notice that there is a Teacher Education option listed with the departments. This should only be selected if you are using this background check to apply for admission to teacher education, student teaching or one of your field experiences. After this information has been submitted you will be sent an email with the link to begin your background application. Please click the link provided in the email and follow the instructions.

5. What information is needed?

  • You will need to provide Trak-1 with your full legal name (first, middle and last), Social Security Number (international students see question #6), current address, and date of birth. Make sure you include all information requested. Omitting information will cause a delay in the process.

6. What if I am an international student who does not have a social security number?

  • Instead of entering a social security number you will simply put all “1’s” in the box. For example: 111-11-1111. Make sure you enter your legal name and all other information that is requested.

7. How long does it take to get the results of my background check?

  • In most instances, the process takes approximately 48 hours (2 business days) for the information to reach UCO. Department chairs will be notified daily of students in their program who have completed their background check and are cleared to begin field experiences/practicums/ internships/class assignment or activity.

8. What would keep me from “passing” my background check?

  • In order to receive clearance to begin the field experiences/practicums/ internships or before beginning the class assignment or activity which requires working directly with vulnerable adults and/or minors, your background check must not contain: a felony conviction, sexual offense conviction, a conviction of a violent nature, or multiple and recent drug/alcohol convictions.

9. What happens if a crime, felony, or record of some sort is found on my record?

  • The administrator who oversees all background checks will consult with the legal department on campus. The UCO Legal Department will advise on actions that need to be made. If actions limit the student from participating in the field experiences/practicums/ internships/class assignment or activity, the student and instructor of the course will devise a different plan of action. If the criminal record would prohibit the student in the professional field, the student will be asked to transfer to an appropriate program which he/she can successfully complete. All information will be held confidential.

10. What if something on my background check is not related to my actions? 
(for example common name and your record reports something you did not do)

  • If adverse action has to be taken based on incorrect information on the report contact Trak-1 for the dispute process at no charge, or call 1.800.600.8999 and ask for the consumer dispute department.

11. How can I obtain a personal copy of my background check?

  • In order to obtain a copy of your background check you may submit this form, Consumer Report Request Form, to trak-1 to receive a copy via email within 24 hours.

12. Who will see my background check?

  • The results of each background check will be viewed by our background check coordinator, Ms. Emilee Bounds, or in her absence, Dr. Donna Cobb, associate dean of the college. Ms. Bounds will notify department chairs of all students from their departments who have been cleared for field experiences/practicums/ internships/class assignment or activity. Department chairs, faculty, and staff will not have direct access to any of the background checks.
  • The results of all TES applicants and students will be viewed by Ms. Karen Davis.

13. I need more information. Who do I contact?

  •  Ms. Emilee Bounds is the CEPS Coordinator of Background Checks. You may contact her at or 974-5105

14. Do I need to get another background check if I have recently had one due to my employment?

  • Yes.  It is imperative that we have a centralized and consistent data base.

15. If I am currently teaching do I still need a background check?

  • If your internship/practicum/field experience or class assignment requires you to work with minors outside or within the district with which you are employed you will need to complete a background check through Trak-1.