Housing FAQ

Are freshmen required to live on campus?

No, living on campus is optional for all students.

How do I apply for Housing and Dining?

You will need to log on to UCONNECT and select the "My Housing" tab.  Once you are there, please fill out an online application. You need to choose a room, meal plan and sign the contract to complete the Housing and Dining contract for the academic year. There are times throughout the year when the portal is closed.  Please contact the Housing Office for more information at 974-2746. 

Will my financial aid cover the cost of my housing?

Financial aid, first and foremost, covers tuition and fees. Once that is paid, any remaining financial aid will be applied to the balance on the students account. If the balance is not covered, students are responsible for the remaining amount.

NOTE: OHLAP does not cover housing. OHLAP only covers tuition. For more information, contact the Financial Aid office at 974-2727.

When do I need to apply for Housing?

Housing is based on a first come, first serve basis. We accept applications year round, but if no rooms are available, students will be added to a wait list. For the best availability, we suggest applying once you are accepted to UCO.  

How do I reserve a room with my friend? 

When filling out your application online, please note who you would like your roommate to be. Roommates must select each other in their respective applications, and accept an invitation to room together. When choosing a room, students should coordinate with each other and choose the same room, at the same time, to secure the spaces together.  

Is there Internet access in the residence halls?

All of our halls have high-speed wireless Internet connections.

Can I see a room during the year while students are on campus? 

Students occupy all rooms throughout the school year.  You can see a room any time of year by checking out our 360˚ Room Tours by clicking here.  Tours run daily June 1 through July 31 from noon - 5pm, departing from the Housing Office every 30 minutes. 

Where can I pick up my mail?

Students in West Hall and Murdaugh have Personal Mail Boxes (PMB) on the first floor of the Nigh University Center. Students in the University Suites have mailboxes within their residence hall, and University Commons student’s mailboxes are located in the vicinity of their apartment.  PMBs are distributed along with keys. 

What is the policy on room changes?

Students may apply for a room change each month of the academic year. The Room Change Request Form is found on OrgSync, under Forms or by clicking here.   Room changes are on a first come, first serve basis provided space is available.  If a room change is granted, students will be charged a $100 Room Change Fee.

How secure are the buildings?

The exterior entry/exit doors to University Suites, Murdaugh Hall and West Hall are locked twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days per week.

Do I have to move out for the breaks?

Students do not have to move out for any break within the academic year, aside from Christmas Break. Students wishing to stay over Christmas Break, must pay a winter intersession fee and sign a winter intersession contract. Students may leave items locked in their rooms over the break, but a fee will be assessed if a student needs to re-enter their room during break.

NOTE: Summer intersession requires a separate housing contract.

How do visitations work? Opposite sex visitations?

The front desks monitor guests, especially of the opposite sex. Opposite sex visitors must be out of the room by midnight Sunday-Thursday and 1 a.m. Friday-Saturday. Any failure to cooperate will result in consequences such as community service on campus, a fine, etc. If guests are staying overnight, they must be checked in and approved. Any guest that is the same sex is allowed to stay as long as the student AND their roommate can agree upon it. Visitors can stay up to three consecutive days at a time, but you will need to let your RA and roommate know and have permission to do so.

What if my roommate and I are not getting along?

Roommates having difficulties should consider contacting their RA for roommate mediation.  The RA will sit down with the roommates and help them to determine a possible solution for any ongoing problems.  If that is unsuccessful, students may contact their Hall Director for further mediation. If no compromise can be reached then the students are welcome to apply for a room change.  If granted, a $100 fee is charged to the student requesting the room change.  Room change forms are found on OrgSync, under Forms, or by clicking here.  

What if something in my room needs repair?

All maintenance requests should be completed through UCONNECT in the "My Housing" Tab.  Submitting this online request immediately alerts the UCO maintenance staff to the issue, so they may assess and make repairs.  Please contact your RA or the Housing Office for help submitting a maintenance request.

Does UCO provide family/married housing?

Yes.  Our Student Family Housing options remain full.  Please submit your information here to be added to our waitlist.  

What is the rate for moving in in the middle of the semester?

UCO Housing & Dining will charge a pro-rated fee calculated on the day that you move in.

Is the room reservation fee refundable?

No. To help ensure a room is available for all interested students, this fee is not refundable.

How do I pay for my Housing & Dining

All Housing & Dining Charges will be applied to your bursar account. Students may make payments by check in the Housing Office, online with debit/credit, or by visiting the Bursar. Payments for each semester are due in full by September 1st and February 1st, respectively. 

What happens if I don't make a payment on time, or need a payment plan?

Payment plans are available to help with the cost of residency. More information is available in the Housing and Dining office.

Can my housing contract be canceled?

The University reserves the right to terminate this contract at any time, and the residents may be required to move upon notice, or if the housing department determines that the continued residency of the student would pose a danger to life, health, or general well-being of the residential community. Violation of terms of the contract requiring the termination by the university will result in payment of 100% of the value of the contract. A resident may be required to seek professional counseling on campus as part of an agreement to continue occupancy. If you do not check into your assigned space by the first Friday of class, the university may, at its discretion, terminate this contract and charge according to the cancellation terms below.  Please review your contract for more detailed information on the cancellation policy.

As stated in the Terms and Conditions of the Housing contract, any student who breaks their annual contract will be responsible for 50% of their remaining housing balance. If a student wishes to contest the cancellation charges, a student may fill out a Review Board Form,  by clicking here.  The Review Board meets every Thursday to discuss submitted appeals. Students requesting we waive the cancellation fee for medical reason should upload additional documentation from medical professionals stating the student's medical condition and recommending a move off campus. The decision of the Review Board is final.  

How do I cancel my housing contract?

Please visit the housing office for a cancellation form and estimation of charges.  Next, contact your RA to set up an appointment for a final checkout (24 hours notice is required).   


Dining FAQ

Is Dining Included?

The charges for Housing & Dining are separate. 

Are students required to have a meal plan?

If you are living on campus (excluding University Commons Apartments), you are required to have a meal plan. Since University Commons Apartments have a kitchen that allows the students to cook for themselves, a meal plan is not required, but may be purchased if desired.

What are the most popular meal plans?

When choosing a meal plan, students should take into account their school and work schedules, as well as their own eating habits. The dining locations on campus have specific hours of operation, which should be taken into consideration as well. Our most popular meal plan is "The 8," which gives students eight meals per week, plus $425 in Flex Dollars. 

What are Flex Dollars and how does they work?

Flex Dollars are included in every meal plan, and are accepted like cash at any of the 8 dining locations across campus, as well as Starbucks.  These "virtual dollars" are kept in a declining balance account; the amount used is automatically deducted from the account.  Additional Flex Dollars can be added at any time by visiting the Housing and Dining office. Flex Dollars carry over from the Fall to Spring semester as long as a student has a Spring Meal Plan set up, but will expire after the Spring semester has concluded. There are no refunds for unused Flex Dollars at the end of the Spring semester. 

How can I change my meal plan?

Students have a two-week grace period at the start of each semester to get familiar with their routines and see if their meal plan choices are going to work for them. During this period, students can change their meal plans free of charge. Students are not allowed to change their meal plan after the first two weeks of the semester. To change meal plans, a student needs to fill out a meal plan change form in the Housing and Dining office.

How do the meal plans work?

Meal plans come in two parts made up of meal swipes and Flex Dollars.

Flex money is "virtual cash" available on your students ID card. Flex purchases are tax free, which makes it cheaper than using cash or a debit card for purchases on campus. Flex money can be used anywhere on campus for food and beverages, as well as supplies like laundry detergent and supplies that are available in the Nigh University Center Outtakes.  

Meal swipes are a set amount of meals a student can use during the week. Meal swipes reset each week on Saturday afternoons and are used at Buddies, our main cafeteria. Block meal plans are also an option.  Block plans offer an allotted amount of meals per semester. Instead of resetting at the end of the week, this is a running tally. Once a student has used the designated number of meals on the plan, the plan is complete until the following semester.