- External Grants
- Grant Submission Procedures
- Searching for Grant Opportunities
- Grant Facilitators & Liaisons
- PI/PD Responsibilities
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Indirect Cost Breakdown
- Forms and Documents
- Faculty On-Campus Grant Programs
- Student Research
- Travel Presentation Grants
- Research Advisory Council
- Oklahoma Research Day
- Emeritus Faculty Research
- Contact Us
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
- Nov 5th - Posters on the Hill deadline! Click for more information on this research event.
- Dec 2nd - Abstract submission deadline for NCUR. For more information click here http://www.cur.org/ncur_2015/
2014 UCO Faculty/Staff External Grant Writing Workshop
- October 13 and 14
- Carl Albert Room, NUC 300
- Participants will learn how to search for grant opportunities, find collaborators, develop budgets, contact program officers, route and submit grant proposals to external agencies, and much more. Space is limited. Registration form
In an era of ever stricter and more limited budgetary times in higher education, external grants play an increasingly important role in bringing in new sources of funds to supplement UCO's educational mission, to attract, retain and develop faculty, improve faculty relations, purchase equipment and fund valuable research, creative and scholarly activities.
The Office of Research & Grants (OR&G) oversees all aspects of the pre-award grant process to federal, state, and local agencies, with the exception of agencies that require a 501(c)(3) nonprofit status to apply.
As part of promoting transformational learning, the OR&G assists faculty and staff through the process of identifying, developing, and submitting a grant proposal. Our services include:
- Assistance with proposal preparation processes and procedures
- Assistance with proposal development
- Guidance for budget preparation
- Guidance for ensuring compliance with agency guidelines
- Obtaining institutional approval
- Submission of electronic proposals to federal agencies through Grants.gov
External Grant Submissions by Fiscal Year
In Fiscal Year 2012-2013, UCO received $3,981,456 from external funding agencies and submitted 82 proposals.
Dollar Amount Awarded by Type of Agency and Fiscal Year
View the UCO Factbook External Grants Funded 2007 - 2012 to learn more about UCO's external submission trends.
US Department of Education Awards $5 Million 'GEAR UP' Grant to UCO
The U.S. Department of Education has awarded the University of Central Oklahoma a 7-year, $5 million grant under Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP). GEAR UP is designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
Federal funding for GEAR UP Central will be matched by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, the Oklahoma Council on Economic Education, MidFirst Bank and UCO for a total budget of $11.4 million over seven years.
The grant will serve 899 low-income students from high-poverty, low-performing urban middle and high schools in four school districts in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area.
“As Oklahoma’s metropolitan university, Central takes seriously the responsibility to make higher education more accessible to the state’s students. GEAR UP Central will provide the necessary support for students and families who might not be aware of the resources available for college preparation,” said UCO President Don Betz.
GEAR UP Central students will receive academic counseling and tutoring, intensive college entrance exam preparation, mentoring, concurrent enrollment opportunities, application and admissions workshops, campus visits, Oklahoma’s Promise workshops and application assistance, financial aid and financial literacy workshops, and more.
“The goal of the GEAR UP Central program is to build systematic change within the target schools, creating a culture transformation that will lead to greater amounts of college-going students who are better prepared for postsecondary education,” said Myron Pope, Ed.D., vice president for Student Affairs at Central.
GEAR UP Central will serve students from Millwood Elementary School, Millwood High School, Del Crest Middle School, Kerr Middle School, Jarman Middle School, Monroney Middle School, Del City High School, Midwest City High School, Crutcho Elementary School, Western Heights Middle School and Western Heights High School.
Please help us in congratulating Principal Investigator Myron Pope, and Co-Principal Investigator Barry Lofton, as we wish them continued success.