About the Oklahoma Principals' Academy
Due to severe budget shortages being experienced by state schools and school districts, enrollment for the upcoming 2016-17 UCO ELA Principals’ Academy has been quite limited. Many principals, assistant principals, and district leaders have reported that they continue to find great value in the academy. Unfortunately funding for professional development is one area where many schools and districts are trimming budgets. For this reason we placed a moratorium on the Principals’ Academy for the 2016-17 academic year. We look forward to continuing to offer the academy in future years and also look forward to a better funding forecast for our public schools in the future.
Founded in 1994, the mission of the Oklahoma Principals' Academy is to provide Oklahoma’s K-12 principals and assistant principals networking opportunities and leadership development customized for the unique challenges of leading today's elementary and secondary schools.
- Leadership development for Oklahoma’s principals comparable to that offered to many upper level executives in successful organizations.
- Cultivate a sense of self-awareness through experiential education emphasizing growth in communication, cooperation and teamwork, trust, problem-solving, and leadership.
- Develop a range of management and leadership skills and abilities such as effective hiring methodologies, time management, establishing a positive school culture, defining school vision and mission, cooperation and effectively managing change, understanding group dynamics, building trust and motivating others.
- Provide the opportunity for Oklahoma’s Principals to network, learn,and brainstorm ideas with their peers and other K-12 leaders.
- Increased knowledge and understanding of managing and leading in today’s K-12 schools.
- Take away a more complete understanding of how your behavior impacts students, faculty, staff, supervisors and other key stakeholders.
- Have an expanded network of colleagues and professionals in K-12 schools.